Frenchie Not Eating

Bleu jackson

New member
Joined
Oct 30, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
9
My 4 year-old male Frenchie periodically refuses to eat anything. This is usually for about a day, sometimes two. He refuses food, treats, and doesn’t drink any water.
After a day or so of this, he is back to normal.
His weight is normal and doesn’t exhibit any symptoms of being in pain or anything unusual. This happens about every 5-7 days.
Any suggestions?
 

2bullymama

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 6, 2013
Messages
8,025
Reaction score
282
It is not uncommon for Frenchie to be very finicky eaters. My guy does this at times, just decides, nah, I don't feel like eating today. Sometime, I just wait an hour or so, put the bowl back and he eats, other times I have to do toppers (slice of liver or some freeze dried duck treats or maybe a thin slice of steak) and he will eat. There have been other times where he held out for more than two meals and I ended up hand feeding him. The thing that is most important is to know is he being picky or is something going on. Pay close attention to any other behavior changes as you state you don't notice any pain or weight loss,,, so it could be he is being a stubborn picky frenchie. try some toppers to see if it helps next time he does this.
 

pespejo427

New member
Joined
Nov 11, 2023
Messages
9
Reaction score
9
My Frenchie is so picky, even toppers don't always work. My Piglet didn't really eat her breakfast this morning, so I gave her some peanut butter when I had to go out. For dinner I made her some beef with sweet potato. She ate all the beef, and left all the sweet potato. I then put a bit of canned dog food on the rest, mixed it real good and she ate it. On other days, she would turn her nose up to canned food. She is a little over 16 months old, and I have only had her for 2 months. I guess it will take time to figure her out. She is even picky with the treats I give her. The local animal league has been benefitting from her pickiness!
 

Bleu jackson

New member
Joined
Oct 30, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
9
My 4 year-old male Frenchie periodically refuses to eat anything. This is usually for about a day, sometimes two. He refuses food, treats, and doesn’t drink any water.
After a day or so of this, he is back to normal.
His weight is normal and doesn’t exhibit any symptoms of being in pain or anything unusual. This happens about every 5-7 days.
Any suggestions?
I may have figured out his problem: KIBBLE! He doesn’t chew it, just swallows it whole. I think it’s clogging up his esophagus or someplace until it dissolves. I took him off dry food 12 days ago and switched to Freshpet mixed with a small amount of ground beef and he hasn’t had any problems. He’s eating regularly twice a day and hasn’t thrown up.
 

2bullymama

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 6, 2013
Messages
8,025
Reaction score
282
I may have figured out his problem: KIBBLE! He doesn’t chew it, just swallows it whole. I think it’s clogging up his esophagus or someplace until it dissolves. I took him off dry food 12 days ago and switched to Freshpet mixed with a small amount of ground beef and he hasn’t had any problems. He’s eating regularly twice a day and hasn’t thrown up.
Wow! I feed raw so didn’t have this issue, but our guy also doesn’t chew and any treat has to be broken into small pieces
 

Bleu jackson

New member
Joined
Oct 30, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
9
Pretty sick and tired of going to veterinarians who wanted to X-ray, do blood work, and prescribe Rx, then charge hundreds of dollars.
Whatever happened to common sense veterinary care?
 

pespejo427

New member
Joined
Nov 11, 2023
Messages
9
Reaction score
9
I feel my Piglet Royal Canin kibble, and they are small. I have finally figured out what to top it with as eggs were no longer working. I now use sardines, tuna, or salmon and mix it up real good. She gobbles it. For dinner I have been mixed a bit of canned, beyond or wellness for sensitive stomachs. I top that with some butternut squash and sweet potatoes cooked in chicken broth. If there is chicken left, I will put some of that it. I noticed Piglet doesn't do well in the chewing area either. I am switching her to chewy treats. The crunchy ones I have found all over the place as she plays with them.
 
Top