flank alopecia

Elizabethknight88

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any of you Frenchie owners have dealt with flank alopecia? Is it seasonal? I just got my Frenchie a few months ago. When I first got her we dealt with demodex mites and after medicated shampoo from the vet and multiple skin scrapings she came back negative and the area on her neck is growing back fur but now she is losing fur on her sides. She is on and has been on the same grain free food as when I got her because the breeder said she previously lost all of her and when she switched to grain free it grew back so she has been on grain free since then. So I’m just wanting to know if it’s a seasonal thing or maybe she is missing a nutrient perhaps? IMG_1022.jpeg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! that does not look like SFA... usually SFA the fur is totally gone, no flaking or patches and the area appears to be black. What proteins are you feeding here? Try to avoid chicken, beef and potatoes. since you are feeding grain free she might have issues with the peas or legumes

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Christine. That is not SFA. It looks like some sort of skin issue. You could try NuStock which will help if it’s an infection of some sort and grow the fur back. But if it keeps happening, try a different food/protein and add in a probiotic if you aren’t already to help boost the immune system.

Elizabethknight88

Reaction score
Welcome! that does not look like SFA... usually SFA the fur is totally gone, no flaking or patches and the area appears to be black. What proteins are you feeding here? Try to avoid chicken, beef and potatoes. since you are feeding grain free she might have issues with the peas or legumes
She has been on salmon grain free. She had demodex mites when I got her and was treated for that and they gave her this sulfur shampoo and we went back 3 times to make sure they was gone they did skin scrapings and everything. Since then her hair has started coming out on her sides though

Elizabethknight88

Reaction score
Agree with Christine. That is not SFA. It looks like some sort of skin issue. You could try NuStock which will help if it’s an infection of some sort and grow the fur back. But if it keeps happening, try a different food/protein and add in a probiotic if you aren’t already to help boost the immune system.
Okay I’ll get some nustock and try that and see if it helps her. She has been on a probiotic chew.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I’ll get some nustock and try that and see if it helps her. She has been on a probiotic chew.
Every now and then, Louie, my bulldog, gets little tiny patches of missing fur and little bumps. I’m not sure what causes it but Nustock always clears it up. Be warned…it smells awful! But it works.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
She could be reacting to the salmon or it’s environmental allergies. Try a fork full of refrigerated sauerkraut as the probiotic see if that helps her immune system