ears not standing up

bully

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone can tell what it means if a french bulldogs ears have gone up(late for me at 3mths 3weeks) and one has gone back down again. I have heard it could be due to teething. The dog is 5mths old now.
Any thoughts??
Thanks

I don't know for sure, unless it's a genetic thing. All of ours and the other breeders I know, our pups have always stood up and never come down. They have their ears up a 4 to 5 weeks of age, so I am of no help here, sorry.

Sorry,no real help here, Buster came to us with his ears super glued down because he was supposed to be an English. His whole litters ears started popping up between 7 and 8 weeks old! When we got them unglued they took a couple of days to come back up.

sorry, but I have no idea either.... interested to know if you do find any info on it

Sorry,no real help here, Buster came to us with his ears super glued down because he was supposed to be an English. His whole litters ears started popping up between 7 and 8 weeks old! When we got them unglued they took a couple of days to come back up.

Glued down!??! WHAT!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We paid our deposit on first pick male Olde English Bulldogge. We met the breeder's son in LaGrande, OR 1 day before he was 8 weeks old. The breeder had glued his ears down to "train" them. Poor baby, they were driving him nuts. After we had him for 10 hours the breeder called, said she had the litter DNA tested and the Frenchie stud was the father. That explained a lot. Buster was one of the bigger ones in the litter but still tiny. I took him to his well puppy check the next day and the vet unglued his ears. The breeder wanted me to keep him, and have first pick male out of her next all OEB litter, but I declined knowing the 2 puppies would bond and my 6 yr. old EB would be odd man out. We ended up getting a big refund, and our adorable "halfie", a blended Bulldog!

Attachments

• 20130208_133140 - Copy.jpg
    20130208_133140 - Copy.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 972
  • 20130211_083051.jpg
    20130211_083051.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 316
We paid our deposit on first pick male Olde English Bulldogge. We met the breeder's son in LaGrande, OR 1 day before he was 8 weeks old. The breeder had glued his ears down to "train" them. Poor baby, they were driving him nuts. After we had him for 10 hours the breeder called, said she had the litter DNA tested and the Frenchie stud was the father. That explained a lot. Buster was one of the bigger ones in the litter but still tiny. I took him to his well puppy check the next day and the vet unglued his ears. The breeder wanted me to keep him, and have first pick male out of her next all OEB litter, but I declined knowing the 2 puppies would bond and my 6 yr. old EB would be odd man out. We ended up getting a big refund, and our adorable "halfie", a blended Bulldog!

Happy ending!

Wow Alice Kable what a story. Poor baby. Im glad the vet could "unglue" his ears.

I did hear about people taping Frenchies ears up. Dont know any details ,I just read it somewhere. They wrap tape around both ears connecting them to each other so say stand up straight and the muscle tissue can get used to it. I dont know though , I personally wouldnt put tape around any body parts of my dog.

I haven't heard of ears falling back down. Norm had one ear perk up right away and it took about 6 months before the other ear stood up. I thought he was going to have one floppy ear forever.

[MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] - Thanks for sharing 'the whole story'!!! Poor guy. Glad they got unstuck without any problems... Buster and Ruggles look like they could be related in that first picture!!!

[MENTION=193]winginit66[/MENTION] the vet used his razor to get them loose. My daughter is a RN and sent us a sample of what they use in the hospital to get tape off skin. It worked to get the remaining glue off!

I am in no way an expert here, but my daughter has a Boston Terrier whose ears were starting to go up when she brought him home. All the sudden they went back down and stayed down. About the same time she noticed that he had a bit of a brown waxy goo in his ears and a slight odor. She took him to the vet who said he had a yeast infection in his ears. He got them cleaned out and she had to put drops in them. As soon as the infection cleared up (about a week), his ears went up and have not gone down since! Maybe this could be an issue with your pup.

I am in no way an expert here, but my daughter has a Boston Terrier whose ears were starting to go up when she brought him home. All the sudden they went back down and stayed down. About the same time she noticed that he had a bit of a brown waxy goo in his ears and a slight odor. She took him to the vet who said he had a yeast infection in his ears. He got them cleaned out and she had to put drops in them. As soon as the infection cleared up (about a week), his ears went up and have not gone down since! Maybe this could be an issue with your pup.

Thats an interesting Theory! Thank you for sharing ;)

Bella had one ear that dropped a few weeks after we got her. Our vet said from teething. The calcium which is what the ears need to stand gets pulled to the coming in teeth. He suggested we give her a teaspoon off plain low fat yogurt once a day, it popped up five days later! She was three months old at the time.

~ Loving life with our Frenchie

Don't tape the pups ears!!!! So not fun for them! And honestly does it really matter?! I was worried Bella's wouldn't pop back up, but all I was willing to try was the yogurt. If it stayed down oh well! :)

ebuhu2us.jpg

Here is my Bella when her ear was down, as you can see in my profile picture it popped back up! Try the yogurt!

Could there have been some trauma to the ear that came back down? I know puppies can get themselves into a jam and with the size of their ears....it's possible I think. Just throwing out another thought.

(On a side note...my boyfriends silky terrier got his head caught in the slats of a chair when he was a pup...I had to saw the chair apart to free him! Just an example of puppies getting into trouble...LOL)

Hi - we just got our little guy (Olaf) just over 2 weeks ago and his ears are down. He is now 14 weeks old. We haven't tried to do anything yet to make his ears stand up though. He's still so darn cute with his ears down anyway. One theory I have is that his ears are late to bloom because he was A) the runt of the litter (according to the breeder), B) his brothers nipped his ears up pretty badly (he had some scabs on his ears when we picked him up), and C) he had bad separation anxiety and it took him longer to be ok (again, according to the breeder). I'm not too worried about it because like I said, we still love he with his ears down just as much. I'll keep you all updated on his progress!

Olaf.jpg

Back