Overweight Puppy?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax will be 6 months old next week. I weighed him yesterday and he is already 27 pounds! To me that sounds like a lot considering a male Frenchie's weight is about 28 pounds and Jax is still a puppy. When we got him in June at around 10 weeks, he weighed 9.5 pounds. He currently eats 2 cups per day (1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm). Is he overweight for his age? Should I cut down his food intake? He eats really fast and is still hungry sometimes after eating 1 cup.

Pups are always hungry and will eat till they explode ..... some Frenchies are bigger than others too... but if you can post a picture we may be able to tell better.

Do you give treats or any human food? What are you feeding now?

[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] - he is eating 2 cups a day of Fromm Chicken A La Veg. If he does get human food, it's just a little bit of carrots. He does get treats but I don't think I overdo it. He always acts like he is starving. His body looks in proportion. I called the vet and they didn't seem to worried but he has an appointment tomorrow for a body assessment to make sure. I was just so shocked when I weighed him and saw 27 pounds! He's such a little butterball! Here a couple pictures from over the weekend but I don't have any side shots.IMAG0249.jpgIMAG0374.jpg

Sorry I don't have any input about the amount of food since I don't own a Frenchie yet..... BUT MAN-O-MAN is he CUUUUUUUUTE!!!!

Sorry I don't have any input about the amount of food since I don't own a Frenchie yet..... BUT MAN-O-MAN is he CUUUUUUUUTE!!!!

Thanks! I am totally head over heels in love with him!!

Hard to tell from the pics, but he doesn't look over weight, even though the normal weight for a Frenchie is 26 to 28 lbs. for a male. If you were going to show him, he could not be over 28 lbs. Cut back a little on his food now that he is getting a little older. Hazel only get 1 cup all day, we split it up, so 1/2 cup twice a day.

What a cutie! I don't know much about Frenchies, but Buster, my halfie has a taper--he is big around the chest, rib cage behind his front legs, then tapers to more narrow in front of his hind legs.

I give Junie 1/2 cup 2x day.
He is adorable!!!!!

[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] - he is eating 2 cups a day of Fromm Chicken A La Veg. If he does get human food, it's just a little bit of carrots. He does get treats but I don't think I overdo it. He always acts like he is starving. His body looks in proportion. I called the vet and they didn't seem to worried but he has an appointment tomorrow for a body assessment to make sure. I was just so shocked when I weighed him and saw 27 pounds! He's such a little butterball! Here a couple pictures from over the weekend but I don't have any side shots.View attachment 892View attachment 893

He does not look overweight.... but as other have suggested and I think might be good, is to cut back a little, maybe drop to 3/4 cup 2x a day and supplement with frozen green beans

Back