Sore paws and itchy skin

Calcon

Reaction score
For about a year know he’s been itchy and licking and chewing his paws constantly, the vets always say it’s allergies. He’s been on Apowual and steroids which both seemed to help when he was having 2 tablets per day but once the dose dropped to 2 per day it didn’t really help at all. He eats natures menu raw Turkey and goose complete nugggets, just not sure what to do anymore. Any help would be appreciated

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried any other proteins. Maybe he doesn't do well with any poultry. Also, Jax used to be on Apoquel but then we switched to Cytopoint when that came out and he does much better on that. Also, whenever his paws would get red, we would do iodine paw soaks for a few days which always seemed to help. He still licks them a bit but not like he used to.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Citty has you covered.... I also wipe paws after being outside sometimes it can be environmental

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calcon

Reaction score
Well he is allergic to chicken and it never even come into my head that maybe it’s poultry altogether, I’m going to try him on rabbit for a few weeks see how he gets on. I rinse his paws off in the shower after every walk.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Well he is allergic to chicken and it never even come into my head that maybe it’s poultry altogether, I’m going to try him on rabbit for a few weeks see how he gets on. I rinse his paws off in the shower after every walk.

If using rabbit, keep in mind it is very lean meat and can cause weight loss... look for a second protein to rotate with... duck is a good one as it is less likely to be an allergen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calcon

Reaction score
He is slightly overweight anyway so it might do him well

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hello,
Mine is allergic to chicken so I stay away from that protein as well as turkey. That definitely could be causing all the itchiness. I have found better success with duck but also rotate beef and pork at times (just focus on cold proteins or neutrals - not warm or hot ones). I did try rabbit as she should technically be able to eat that one, but her allergy test came back that she is really sensitive to that too.

Mine itches year round even with limited ingredient treats and raw. Wiping feet and underbelly is good, using a scent free detergent to clean bedding, etc...I bathe mine every two weeks with a Chlorhexidine shampoo that is antibacterial and antimicrobial too.

Calcon

Reaction score
Really appreciate the help, gonna see how he gets on with the rabbit for a few weeks and carry on cleaning the paws after every walk