Please help. Bald spot/hair thinning

Lily the frenchie

Reaction score
Hi there everyone Iā€™m new to this forum. My 1 year old frenchie has some kind of coat condition that the vet canā€™t figure out. Every time I take her in, the vet just gives her some kind of injection saying itā€™s for allergies of the skin to stop inflammation. But she doesnā€™t have any inflammation or scabs or any redness, just a spot on her leg thatā€™s been thinning out. She doesnā€™t seem itchy, seems like the bald spot doesnā€™t bother her in any way. Iā€™ve been feeding her orijen dog food since a puppy, itā€™s the original flavor that has chicken I think. Is there anyone on here who has had this problem or knows what it can be ? Skin scrape said no mange. AC651CAF-31BA-4117-984D-33369A95D314.jpegAC651CAF-31BA-4117-984D-33369A95D314.jpeg024149C6-8132-4AAB-B3AD-28517947AED1.jpeg

Has the vet done a skin scrape to rule out mange/mites?

Also, Orijen is a great food, but chicken might not agree with herā€¦ however, with no signs of itching or other symptomsā€¦. I make sure the vet did a scrape.

What shot is the vet giving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would take the pup off the chicken formula and try a different protein. Curious as to what injection the vet is giving?

Hi I changed her over to the orijen regional red which is beef, wild boar, lamb and pork. She got the cytopoint injection from the vet even though I told the vet that she doesnā€™t itch or have any irritation

Has the vet done a skin scrape to rule out mange/mites?

Also, Orijen is a great food, but chicken might not agree with herā€¦ however, with no signs of itching or other symptomsā€¦. I make sure the vet did a scrape.

What shot is the vet giving?

Yes the vet did a scrape and said no mange. I did change her over to the regional red formula that is poultry and grain free. The vet did a cytopoint injection but from what I read that is for dogs that are itchy with irritation and inflammation which my dog doesnā€™t have any of those. Honestly this vet is a quack. Before we even went into the exam room he was already standing in there with the cytopoint injection in the syringe ready to go, he just wanted his $145. Iā€™m so lost trying to find a good vet here

Yes the vet did a scrape and said no mange. I did change her over to the regional red formula that is poultry and grain free. The vet did a cytopoint injection but from what I read that is for dogs that are itchy with irritation and inflammation which my dog doesnā€™t have any of those. Honestly this vet is a quack. Before we even went into the exam room he was already standing in there with the cytopoint injection in the syringe ready to go, he just wanted his $145. Iā€™m so lost trying to find a good vet here

Yes, my bulldog gets Cytopoint shots monthly, he is allergic to everything green so it does wonders form him.

Where are you located, maybe there is a recommendation of a vet near you on our sister site, English bulldog news.

I like to feed single protein because then itā€™s easier to know if there is an issue with one. Cytopoint is more for environmental allergies, not food issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far Iā€™ve changed her food to chicken free about 9 days ago and havenā€™t let her go in any grass but no noticeable change. Are there any vitamins or probiotic supplements that can possible help for hair loss/ allergy issues ?

So far Iā€™ve changed her food to chicken free about 9 days ago and havenā€™t let her go in any grass but no noticeable change. Are there any vitamins or probiotic supplements that can possible help for hair loss/ allergy issues ?

It is always good to as a probiotic... raw goatā€™s milk, keifer, sauerkraut or Herbsmith Microflora

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I changed her over to the orijen regional red which is beef, wild boar, lamb and pork. She got the cytopoint injection from the vet even though I told the vet that she doesnā€™t itch or have any irritation

Getting off chicken was a great move and even though Orijen is a high quality kibble, that formula still has multiple types of protein. I would personally try a limited ingredient formula that just has a single protein and go from there (Zignature has this). Duck tends to be a safe protein for many. Since she isn't itchy, it could just be seasonal hair loss like alopecia. Not having a good feeling about the vet, it is a wise choice you have made to find someone else.

Back