Vomiting Dex

mzallymac22

New member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd get straight to the punch. My boyfriend and I own a 4 and a half year old French bulldog named dexter. Dexter has been costly from the get go but he's totally worth it. A while ago he had back surgery as he had a slipped disc.. All better now just walks with abit of a limp.
Since Dexter was a couple of months old he vomits quote regularly. Mostly after drinking lots of water or eating. At first we thought he had allergies, but we tried different vets and blood tests and spent hundreds on tests but no one can help. A girl at a pet shop suggested that maybe it's not what his eating, but the air bubble intake from his short snout and gulping of food. Wanted to know if anyone else has come accross this and can offer and advice?.
Dexter does have an anxiety disorder and is on medication. Can only imagine how the poor little guy is feeling and would hate him to have it be a norm for the rest of his life. Hope you guys can help.

Thanks,
Ally


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

petitsfilous

New member
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
83
Reaction score
6
Bernie will often throw up water if he has had a big drink. This is normally following a loopy 'mad half hour'. He will also regurgitate his food if he has scoffed it too quickly. I believe both these things are normal in Frenchies with it happening to the majority.
 

kitkatmummy25

New member
Joined
Oct 29, 2013
Messages
193
Reaction score
7
Winstons the same he has a more mushed up face than Hugo (bred with slightly longer nose) if eats to fast, drinks to fast or he has the sniffles he voms up the water of load of gunky snot. You could try a slow feeder bowl they are quite good we got one for Hugo because he seems to take one snort and his food is gone! Supposed to reduce air intake by gobbling food, drinking to fast
 

MaplesMommy

New member
Joined
Dec 15, 2013
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
31
When Maple comes back from a long walk she drinks like crazy and a few seconds after shes done she burpes and a few times she threw up. But she normally just burpes and then swallows it again :)fie:
We bought her a slow feeding dish for her kibble. Its a bowl with little plastic hearts "sticking up" from the bottom so the food is all around the hearts and the dog has to get the food from in between. This slows them down A LOT and they cant bolt their food anymore since it moves around in the space between the hearts :p This kind of dish is supposed to keep them away from swallowing too much air when bolting the food and vomiting or passing gas as results.
 

mhuinker

Moderator
Joined
Aug 21, 2013
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
28
It might be a pallete issue too..... Is his vet familiar with this breed and their issues with soft and/or elongated palletes? Of course, it could also be his eating habits (i.e. eating too fast, etc).... :)
Welcome to the forum. We hope to see photos of your little guy! :)
[MENTION=155]petitsfilous[/MENTION] Bernie is absolutely gorgeous!! Love your avatar photo and your signature photo too!! Have always loved that color! :)
 

Cbrugs

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
4,142
Reaction score
357
Whenever Jax drinks too much too fast, he usually throws up after as well. He eats super fast too but he usually keeps his food down.
 

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Joined
Apr 6, 2013
Messages
4,405
Reaction score
70
Have you tried a slow feed bowl to make her slow down when eating? It may help some, but I don't have any idea on how the slow her water drinking down, unless you are resticking water and she is just gulping it down, if that's the case then do not restrict water.
 

Katie Winchell

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
54
Reaction score
3
Norm used to throw up a lot too. I think it was a combination of crazy running then inhaling his food. Since I got a slow feeder he hasn't been throwing up at all. Sometimes he sounds like he is choking but the vet said it's a reverse sneeze.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
347
Reaction score
10
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd get straight to the punch. My boyfriend and I own a 4 and a half year old French bulldog named dexter. Dexter has been costly from the get go but he's totally worth it. A while ago he had back surgery as he had a slipped disc.. All better now just walks with abit of a limp.
Since Dexter was a couple of months old he vomits quote regularly. Mostly after drinking lots of water or eating. At first we thought he had allergies, but we tried different vets and blood tests and spent hundreds on tests but no one can help. A girl at a pet shop suggested that maybe it's not what his eating, but the air bubble intake from his short snout and gulping of food. Wanted to know if anyone else has come accross this and can offer and advice?.
Dexter does have an anxiety disorder and is on medication. Can only imagine how the poor little guy is feeling and would hate him to have it be a norm for the rest of his life. Hope you guys can help.

Thanks,
Ally


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too have a French Bulldog that has cost more than my child. It's my understanding that many snub nose dogs do this and it should be treated because they can develop esophageal erosion. Articles on this suggest using bowls for food and water that are raised off the ground. Your dog takes in air when it eats and drinks because of how it's formed so anything you can do to help eliminate that is good. Feed lesser amounts more often. My dog belches after food and water but it doesn't come out. On the 3 occasions it has I can tell it's un-chewen food so I know they don't chew which is also a problem. Here is a copy of an article and I will try and post the link so you can research each item. Here it is: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_gastroesophageal_reflux#.Us2Y8bQuQng The article begins.............
Gastroesophageal reflux is a condition characterized by the uncontrollable reverse flow of gastric or intestinal fluids into the tube connecting the throat and the stomach (esophagus). This may be due to a brief relaxation of the muscular opening at the base of the esophagus (referred to as the sphincter), as well as chronic vomiting. Gastroesophageal reflux is fairly common in dogs, and may occur at any age, although younger dogs are at greater risk.




The gastric stomach acid, pepsin, bile salts, and other components of the gastrointestinal juices cause damage to the protective mucus lining the esophagus. This can result in inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis).



The condition or disease described in this medical article can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how this disease affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.
 

mzallymac22

New member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Wow. Sounds fascinating and I'll definitely have a read. Thanks for your advice. I'm open to all possibilities because I know how much I hate throwing up and can't imagine how he's feeling!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

mzallymac22

New member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
This is all great advice guys. I'll definitely look into a slow feeder and gradually eliminate possibilities and then if it still doesn't work I'll check out the palette issue. I'll be sure to post up photos after work tonight. (It's 1:16pm Thursday here). Have a lovely day guys and fingers crossed for me :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top